“Courage starts with showing up and letting ourselves be seen.”
~ Brene Brown
Did you just get engaged? Are you and your partner exploring the possibility of marriage?
When you’re considering marriage, deciding on your honeymoon or figuring out where you want to live are among the first things you start to plan. Premarital counselling might be last on your list, if it’s there at all. While it’s not a topic that’s very fun or romantic, premarital counselling can set your marriage up to succeed and survive long-term, in spite of the odds.
If these sound like you:
- You and your partner have arguments that don’t get resolved
- You feel like you’re always the one who has to compromise to keep the peace
- You’re concerned about how your partner’s financial situation will affect you as a married couple
- You’re worried about losing affection or having a diminished sex life after marriage
- You want to find healthier ways to resolve conflict
- You want to resolve religious or financial differences
- You want to define your marital roles and expectations
… Then premarital counselling can be a great benefit to both you and your partner.
The intimate nature of marriage requires that you talk to your partner about everything, no matter how awkward or uncomfortable. Premarital counselling can help you and your partner improve your relationship by helping you develop better communication skills, learn conflict management, uncover your shared core values as well as identify differences that could create future conflict. Working with a therapist, you can discuss expectations with your partner that will help better prepare both of you for marriage.
Getting married is one of life’s most treasured experiences. Premarital counselling can help you and your partner turn that momentous occasion into a loving, lasting relationship.
For guidance and support to strengthen your future marriage, please contact us today so we can schedule an appointment.